Overall, I am very happy with how my paper, exams, and quiz went. Here are the results. I share them not to boast but rather to remind myself how hard I worked for these grades and to show that hard work indeed pays off.
Chemistry test 100%
Anatomy quiz 100%
Psychology paper 100%
Psychology test 80%
There is still much room for improvement especially in my psychology class. It is so hard for me to focus on that class for one main reason: it doesn't interest me. However, I really need to get an A in this class because right now I have a B- and it is holding my GPA way down. I am going to try hard to find something about it that I like to motivate me to work harder in it.
I got 100% on the psychology paper! I am so happy! This paper caused stress, anger, and yes even tears! Just ask Saydi. This paper was not a joyful experience in the least. Nonetheless, the multiple rewrites, rough drafts, and hours of research all payed off when my TA proclaimed mine was the best one yet and wanted a copy to show as an A paper. Ya that felt good! Here is a copy of it. The topic was "Can humans overcome the natural man? Are they a product of their genetics? environment? or biological factors?" This was hard because we could not use any gospel resources, the paper had to be 1 page, and there was 3 other subsections that we had to address. I know my paper isn't perfect by any means (Mr. Heninger would probably only give me an 80 on it I bet) and I know there is lots of room for improvement.
Melissa Hartley
Psych 111- Met with TA Kelsey
The
Power to Override
Freedom of speech, religion, and
association are all rights guaranteed under the constitution. However, what
about freedom to oneself? Do individuals possess the power to override genetics
and the environment? Or are they subject to a natural, animal like state? Using
the frontal cortex, humans have the power to override the natural man; however,
it is often difficult due to the constant interplay between genetics and the
environment.
Metacognition is a gift unique to
humans. Although humans are anatomically similar to animals, one specific
structure establishes the difference: the frontal cortex. In humans it holds
specific, precise, abilities. Two of them being complex decision making and
personality. Although animals possess a frontal cortex, it lacks the size and
complexity contained in humans. Moreover, humans have the ability to think and
process thought like no other species on earth. If this structure were not
exercised, humans would be no more than animals.
The capacity that humans have to
think consciously is the key to avoiding the natural man. Through thinking
consciously we can evaluate our successes and form goals. Both help to avoid
being subject to the carnal world. Sadly, learned and habitual behaviors often
inhibit our ability to think consciously. Addictions are perhaps the most
prevalent among habitual behaviors. Examples include smoking and excessive
alcohol consumption, as well as less recognized ones such as overeating and
bulimia. The frontal cortex is significantly affected from these activities.
Because the frontal cortex houses our conscious thoughts, addictive behaviors
such as the ones mentioned keep us from overcoming the natural man.
It is often overlooked that
humans are made up of genes that code for certain behaviors. Moreover, when
these genes interact with the environment certain behavior results. Luckily,
through experience knowledge can be gained. More specifically, through having experiences
that reveal our natural tendencies, we can understand more about our self. Consequently,
we will know how to respond the next time. Our ability to make memories and
learn (also in the frontal lobe) makes this possible. Tolman’s maze rats
experiment is a prime example. On the tenth day the second group of rats found
their way through the maze. (Tolman and Honzik, 1930) This shows that information
learned and remembered can help up through situations that were at first
impossible. In short, although humans are subject to their genes and the
environment, it is still possible to overcome the natural man.
I’ll never forget my first
experience with cadavers. My natural man took over leaving me nervous and
scared. I couldn’t enjoy the experience because of these natural tendencies. My
experience with cadavers here at BYU has been different. Since I have learned
and remembered how to handle the situation, the experience has been rewarding
rather than drastic. Malcolm Gladwell puts it that just because we don’t
completely understand something at first, it is not out of our control. We have
the ability to overcome natural urges through experience. (Gladwell, 2005) Because
our genes interact with the environment, we have natural tendencies and urges;
however, through the unique functions of the frontal cortex, power to override
becomes possible and freedom to oneself results.
The other day I had a conference with my writing teacher to evaluate my progress and work so far. My teacher said she could definitely tell I was a farm girl because I work really hard. That comment made me feel good. She gave me a few things to work on but told me overall I was doing very well and that my papers were excellent! This made me feel good as well. Again I am so grateful for my high school teachers! Everything I am accomplishing now is because of them. Mr. Heninger, Mr. Janisko, and Mr. Quinton seriously have made such a difference! Thank you!
In church the other day a speaker was saying how lucky we are to live at this time and be where we are. It is such an exciting time! With Mitt Romney running for president, the missionary age being lowered, temples dotting the earth, and family history work in full swing. The Lord is indeed hastening is work and it is starting to settle in how lucky I am to be living at this exciting time. The opportunities are endless. I hope and pray I can be an active participant and not be idle. There is so much I can do!
I love my roommates! I especially love how organized we are! Cooking together is seriously the best thing ever! On tuesday we had lasagna, wednesday garlic chicken, and tonight Ben (kiki's boyfriend) is making us breakfast for dinner, tomorrow Levi and Taylor are cooking (our FHE brothers/friends that wanted to join in), and sunday we are having roast! It works so good! I love it!
Well I should get back to homework. Break is over I guess.
O and it snowed this morning! First snow fall. It was BEAUTIFUL! The mountains were gorgeous.
O and I finally got my haircut today! It has been to long. There is a place in the bottom of the WILK that I got it done and I am happy with it.
BYU basketball has started! Last night was the opener. It made me realize how much I love basketball! I miss Charlie and the team! Doings STATS was seriously the best thing of high school! Lexy really likes basketball to so it is going to be a great season.
Ok I am really going to get back to homework now! :)
Oh Melissa, I am so proud of you and can't help but be jealous. I wish I was as smart as you. You are doing great and happy that you are working so hard! You farm girl! haha.
ReplyDelete