I ran a 10k with my roommate Allie Jensen! After setting the goal at the beginning of the summer semester, we each made plans as to what we needed to do to be ready for it. We each ran consistently for the next month. Starting short at only 2 miles...we slowly lengthened our distance to 3, then 4. It was quite the triumph when we started running 5... and finally we conditioned ourselves to the point we could run 6 miles. Race day came and I had one goal: to run the entire time! and guess what? I did just that! I never stopped. Even when an unexpected MOUNTAIN (ok it was only a small hill but it felt like a mountain at the time haha) unexpectedly presented itself on the trail, I kept running. I never stopped. The last mile was the hardest. Every turn I kept thinking the finish line has to be there but it wasn't. Motivation dwindled in those moments but I keep going. Both Allie and I are so proud of ourselves! It was a hard thing, but we did it. I know that I am physically stronger, mentally stronger, and spiritually stronger because of this event. I know that doing hard things brings added strength, added discipline, and added confidence. Truly Christ did the hardest thing of all--he completed the Atonement. Because he did, we do not have to face the hard things alone. We can have his added strength, his added discipline, and his added confidence, while we work to develop our own. Only with him can we do hard things.
Monday, 10 August 2015
I Can Do Hard Things
I love a talk in this past General Conference by Larry M. Gibson, recently released first counselor in the Young Man General Presidency entitled, "Fatherhood--Our Eternal Destiny". In the talk he relates a story of an endurance challenge he did with his 3 sons: walking 50 miles in 20 hours. Though overtaken with fatigue and pain when they had finished, they triumphed in the fact that they had done it. Brother Gibson took this event as an opportunity to teach his boys that they could do hard things. He says, "I told [my son] how proud I was that he had accomplished such a hard thing. I knew it would prepare him for other hard things he would face in his future." I love this example of powerful, intentional parenting. I know that doing hard things enables us to face future hard things with greater optimism, courage, and faith. That being said, let me tell you what "hard thing" I did this past weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment