Happy Canada Day! I am so blessed to live in this beautiful free land! I hope I never take for granted how lucky I am to live here. I think it will really hit me when I move to the states how special of a place Canada is! I wouldn't trade living here for anything! Happy 145th birthday Canada!
Well I am now an official Cardston High School graduate. My final diploma was this past wednesday June 27--physics. I am so glad to be done physics. I don't think I did very well on it though; I made a lot of really dumb mistakes that I couldn't help but bite my tongue on because I knew better! O well that is life I guess. I did, however, get the hardest questions on the test right which shadows my disappointment of getting the easy ones wrong.
I got my report card in the mail. It is kind of funny my lowest mark was seminary! haha kind of ironic I guess because Seminary is really really easy to get a high mark and strongly just based on attendance; however, I was gone a lot on basketball trips so that really hurt my grade. I finished english with a 94%! I am so happy! I worked so hard in that class and it was great to see my hard work pay off! I had an 89% but with all of my extra credit it brought it up to an 94%. The extra credit involved reading 5 novels off of Mr. Heninger's reading list (challenging books) and writing a critical analytical essay on each one. It took a lot of work, but it was worth it.
Both semesters taken together I calculated my average--just core classes --to be 95%!!! That was my goal at the beginning of the year to finish with a 95% average. I am so happy that I could accomplish my goal! It felt so good. I really worked hard. I can't remember how many times I woke up early before school to study an extra hour for a test, or come home from work to study until bed. I learned how to prioritize my time and still be able to get other stuff done while still making time to study. I sacrificed a lot to make time to study. Developing these habits will greatly bless me at university and I am grateful I could work hard during high school to achieve such a high level of academic achievement.
If I could tell my kids anything that I learned from high school it would be to remember that grades aren't everything. I think I focused a little to much on my grades and as a result sacrificed relationships with friends and family. I had friends don't get me wrong but I think those relationships would have been much stronger and I would have made more out of my high school experience had I not focused so much on my grades. However, I don't want you kids to underestimate the value of achieving good grades. I developed successful habits, received several scholarships, gained a lot of knowledge, and received much confidence all through working hard academically. It was definitely worth it. I think what I am trying to say is that balance is key. It is so important to have a happy balance between your academic goals, social life, family life, and church life. I failed to find that balance. Again my testimony could have grown so much more from seminary, I could have developed more friendships, and strengthened my family ties had I not been so focused on grades. So, to my kids, find that balance. It is possible. It will require much sacrifice. For example, watching TV or movies, or maybe not hanging out with friends every night. But when you have balance in your life, you WILL be able to still achieve good grades while excelling in all other areas of your life.
On a lighter note. . . Summer is officially here. Hip Hip Hooray! This summer I will still be working at H.H. Atkins. I hope to be full time and save my money for school. Summer is one of my favorite times of the year. It is often when I set goals and work to obtain them. It is when I evaluate who I am, who I want to be, and how I am going to be that person. With the high school finished, a new phase of my life is beginning. So without further ado here is some of my summer goals.
- Read the Book of Mormon 1/2 hour every day
- Exercise for 1 hour every day
- Scrapbook my Europe pictures
- Eat healthy and have no sugar
- Do baptisms once a week
- Visit my Grandma and Grandpa more often (both sets)
- Ride my bike to Waterton
- Practice the piano for 1 hour each day
- Read Read Read (books off of Mr. Heninger's list as well as doctrinal books)
I really want to develop the habit of arising early and going to bed early. I plan to start getting up at 6 am to exercise and read my scriptures each day before work. I know that as I do my testimony will be strengthened, I will feel healthier, and my day will undoubtedly go better.
I hope to be spontaneous this summer. I know that sounds kind of funny but it is true! I want to hang out with friends, go to Lethbridge, hike in Waterton, tube down the river, or camp. I want to make the most out of this summer because it is the last summer I have as a kid. It is the last chance I have to grow and mature before leaving home. I want to look back and say that this summer I grew spiritually, I strengthened my relationships with my family and friends, and that I wouldn't change a thing.
Nonetheless, summer is here! and Now is the time to begin, not tomorrow or the next but right now. I want to work a little harder, and be a little better each and everyday.
I can't believe Katelyn and I are going to different schools next fall! It don't know how to do it but I know it will all work out. I love her so much. God knew I couldn't become the person he wanted me to be unless I had extra help. Katelyn is an amazing example to me. I wouldn't be the person I am without her. She helps me be better each and every day. Yesterday we went to The Hunger Games movie (which was awesome and the best movie I have seen in a long time). We both read the book and figured now it was time to finally see the movie. I loved that we could spend that time together just the two of us. She is truly my best friend. I love the these pictures of us and I felt like I should share them.









No comments:
Post a Comment