Sunday, 19 February 2012

Sweetheart Queen

Flashback...
Location: CHS Sweetheart dance
Time: 11:00 pm

All of the sweetheart contestants are in a line, the lights are low, Katelyn and I are standing side by side awaiting the results to see if our predictions proved correct. Mr Gibbing's announces the second runner up "Marty Healy" and for first runner up... "We have a tie! Katrina Sommerfeld and Ashley Meservey!" Katelyn and I exchange glances, for that was not who we were predicting. We are only wondering who the winner is... Mr. Gibbings continues, "And your CHS Sweetheart Queen 2012 is... MELISSA HARTLEY!" Katelyn screams, hugs me and screams again you won! I just stood there memorized as Emily put a sash around me and places the crown on my head.

My mind is still trying to comprehend what my heart is telling me. I won Sweetheart Queen. I still can't believe it. The rest of the night went by in a blur. We each got flowers and then were rushed off to take pictures. Katelyn and I left a little bit after they announced it...we don't really care for dances and I was eager to go and tell my parents the exciting news. I loved waking them up and showing them my sash and happily declaring that I had won! They were pretty proud of me! I think I got to sleep at about 2 am that night because I kept hearing Mr. Gibbings voice in my head declaring my name as the winner. I don't want to sound cocky or anything.... But I am really happy I won! And I am excited when people find out and know that I won. It makes me feel good to have the title of a sweetheart. I love the proud looks I get from people. We had a basketball game the next day in Medicine Hat and Mr Leavitt gave me a high five and told me "good job" Doug Sheen gets on the bus and hollers back to me "congratulations Valentine!" haha gotta love Doug. The best however was Ted Varley came up to me smiling and said "Melissa have I ever told you your a sweetheart?" man... gotta love that boy.

I will tell you a little bit about what the Sweetheart Queen thing is and what you have to do. Every club in our school nominates a girl to be a contestant. The student council nominated me and the seminary council nominated Katelyn. These are all the girls that participated:
Katrina Sommerfeld
Jennie Bennett
Alexis Zaugg
Sidney Carlson
Katelyn
Marty Healey
Me
Kenzie Quinton
Ashley Meservy
Sarah Johnson
Tasheena Smith
Cassidy Duce

We first had to make a poster displaying some of our hobbies and why we were a sweetheart. Here is a picture of mine.




Our next duty is the day of the assembly is to wear church dress. There are four judges. Mr. Court, Mrs. Fletcher, Mrs. Pottinger, and Monica Beazer/Brenda Jensen that judge us. The judges interview each girl before the assembly and asked you one question. The Question was: What experience have you had that has helped you grow the most? My answer was doing stats for the basketball team and I just talked a little bit about how it has helped me grow in confidence and in courage and in personality. It was funny when I walked into the interview there was a chair in the middle of the judges and I just assumed that there was where they wanted me to sit so I went ahead and sat there come to find out that I was supposed to stand for the interview! haha whoops! So I quickly stood up after the judges informed me of this to conclude the interview. We then have an assembly where an escort of your choice escorts you and introduces you and tells a little bit about your background and why your a sweetheart. I asked Rylie Walberger to be my escort. He did an ASTOUNDING job! I could't be more happier with him! In Katelyn's words he was classy. Indeed he was. He got up there and first of all he looked classy, (he forgot his church shoes and was wearing sneakers, Mr. Nish found out and they swapped Rylies's sneakers for his Cowboy boots :D) His speech was indeed classy. Mom and Katelyn helped him alot with his speech by giving him different ideas for stories and what not. He said all of the right things. Classy. I am convinced that he is the reason why I won!

Riley and I 

 After the escort is finished the nominee then has to perform a talent to be judged on. I chose to play the piano. I worked really hard to learn "Two is Better Than One" and have it memorized and sounding good. All in all the piano song went good. I am really glad I had it memorized I think that really impressed the judges. Here is a few lines from the song... It is by Boys Like Girls and Taylor Swift. It is one of my favorites.


The Judges give points based on your poster, your interview, your escort, and your talent. The girl with the most points wins. All of the girls did such a good job and our all sweethearts and any of those girls could have taken home the prize. When I look at everyone who participated I feel really inadequate for winning because some of those girls have been so much and have such sweet spirits that I feel like I shouldn't have won. But I am glad that I did it has made me very aware of my actions. It has instilled in me a desire to try harder to be nicer to everyone and look for ways to help others and make them feel wanted and happy. I hope that I can strive to keep my reputation as a sweetheart as there is always room for improvement. I can't believe I won!!! Man it still hasn't registered yet I don't think. Haha I meant things like this just don't happen to me! I guess this is the start of my luck :D haha Well anyways I just hope that I can strive to keep developing the qualities and consistently exercise these qualities that sweethearts possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment